Pages

Saturday 2 June 2012

Day 4 in Cambodia

5D4N Overseas Service Learning Programme

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

~30 May to 3 June 2012~

 

Reflections by pupils (Saturday, 2 June 2012):

 

Sub-group 1A

"When I woke up, I was very happy because I was going to teach young and small children. In school, I saw that the children were very happy when we stamped their worksheets with fanciful stamps. One boy took all my stamps, stamped it all over his worksheet and ran away. After a short while, I saw some children fighting so I took my whiteboard and markers and gave it to him, so that he would not disturb his friends. When I saw the satisfied and happy smiles on their faces, I felt really happy too! I enjoyed myself very much. ~ Samatha Tedja, 4 Integrity

Sub-group 1B
 "Today, we went to a school which was about two hours away from our hotel. The condition of the school looked shabby but was generally clean. When I handed out the worksheets, I realised that the children were actually very thankful to us. They appreciated simple things such as a printed piece of worksheet very much. As the children encountered difficulties in completing the worksheets, I helped by demonstrating to them how to do it. Seeing the looks of understanding gave me a complete sense of satisfaction. The children were delighted by the simple exercises we demonstrated to them and partcipated in them actively. After lunch, we went on to gardening. My partner and I planted two plants. Although they are small, I strongly believe they will grow up like us, with care and concern. I believe that the activities yesterday and today are the main purpose of this whole life-changing trip." ~ Lynn How, 5 Perseverance

"Today, we taught the Cambodian children English. I felt nervous and I thought that the children could not understand us. As we spent more time with one another, the conditions improved and we moved on. We even taught them the 'Chicken Dance'. The smiles on the childrens' faces lit up my day! ~ Faith Tan, 5 Integrity

 

Sub-group 2A

"Today, it took us more than one and a half hours to go to the village school. When I arrived there, I witnessed for myself how poor they were. I was very eager to interact with them and do my very best to teach them. Seeing the smiles on the childrens' faces really opened my heart and I felt for them. Even though it was the last day, I am looking forward to the next service learning trip. ~ Sarah Teo, 4 Integrity

 

Sub-group 3A

"Today, we had a hearty breakfast followed by an estimated two hour ride to a church in Roong Village. We taught the children there how to read and write. I taught them the names of some animals and how to spell certain country names. To reward their good efforts, I gave them some erasers. They really liked our rewards very much and took the worksheets that we prepared for them seriously as they did not get to receive proper worksheets most of the time. Their smiles really brightened my day. After the interaction, we went gardening. It was the first time I was doing that. I had lots of fun. When we left, I knew that they would miss us as much as I would miss them. I hope I can return to Cambodia again! ~ Jolin Sow, 4 Compassion

 

Sub-group 3B

"When I went to the village, I was nervous and at the same time, looking forward to today's activities. I was shocked as I thought that it would have the same expectations as Takmao Village but over here, due to space constraint, we had to use the place of workship to teach them our planned activities. It was harder than I thought to teach them because their command of language was really poor. I feel sad for them but I had lots of fun imparting knowledge to them. ~ Joan Wong, 5 Integrity
Reflections by teachers (Saturday, 2 June 2012):
"Today, we had our second experience of service learning at Roong Village. This school has many young children who are very less well-off than those we visited yesterday. Most of them turned up in their own home clothes, and I even saw one boy who came to join in the lesson top naked. Our pupils had a fun and interactive time with the village children, teaching them simple English words, pronunciation, Mathematics counting and colouring activities. The children enjoyed the lessons by these 'little teacher mentors' and had some 'stretching exercises' and song and dance items led by both Mr Remund Koh and pupils themselves. It was heart warming to see our pupils who had generous and kind hearts as they helped to distribute the donated food items and clothes to these children. Their faces brightened up with our simple acts of giving them the items. The little boy who came in top naked immediately put on the donated t-shirt given to him and he was beaming with joy! I was really very touched when I saw how appreciative the village children were. They may lead simple lifestyles but they are definitely children who needs lots of love, care and food (and toys too). They really appreciate our interaction time with them. The gardening activity after lunch enabled our pupils to have a first hand authentic experience in planting young plants and may our pupils grow and glow like these tender plants. I am definitely going to miss Cambodia, not only for the adorable children, rich culture but definitely this beautiful experience I had in my life." ~ Ms Oh Bee Ling


No comments:

Post a Comment