Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Day 1 in Cambodia


5D4N Overseas Service Learning Programme

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

~30 May to 3 June 2012~

 

Reflections by pupils (Wednesday, 30 May 2012):

 

Sub-group 1A

"As I was about to board the plane, I felt really sad because I was going to miss my family. However, when we reached Phnom Penh, I looked forward to exploring Cambodia. It was an insightful learning experience for me when I saw many people riding on motorcycles and even a small boy walking bare-footed on my bus journey to lunch. I am thankful for what I have as there are many people who are less fortunate than me." ~Kareen, 4 Humility

Sub-group 1B

"When we first touched down, I felt that the place has great potential as a country. Even though it is different from Singapore in many ways such as cultures, I feel that this country is really amazing! The various tourist attractions drew me closer into Cambodian history. It is like seeing the world from a different angle. " ~Verity, 5 Perseverance

Sub-group 2A

"When I was boarding the plane, I felt very excited. While I was viewing Cambodia from the plane, I saw a lot of water bodies and farms. I felt that this country is very poor. While travelling by bus on the streets, I saw many people riding on motorcycles and selling things in little carts to earn a living. There are very few traffic lights but the cars still give way to let the pedestrians cross the roads. If this country had not suffered so much from 1975 to 1979, I think it would be a great place to live in. I am happy for what I have." ~ Eunice, 5 Compassion

Sub-group 3A

"I have learned more about the cultures in Cambodia and a lot on its history. I felt excited when we first landed in Cambodia. The Royal Palace is very interesting. I was shocked by the amount of gold that was used to build the different Buddha statues. When we reached Village Artworks, I was amazed to see wallets and bags made from recycled materials. I thought that it was a good idea to make things out of recycled materials and use the money earned to provide for the villagers. It was quite fun but tiring." ~ Ashley, 4 Integrity

Sub-group 3B

"When I first touched down in Cambodia, I was very excited as this was my first time on board a plane with my friends. We had lunch and dinner at "Mamak's Corner", a shop that sold delicious chicken rice. What inspired me the most was "Village Artworks", an organisation which teaches poor village women how to make handicrafts as an avenue for them to gain more income for their families. I feel that we are very fortunate and should not demand for more." ~Chantelle, 5 Compassion


Reflections by teachers (Wednesday, 30 May 2012):


"It is important to have a good and strong government to lead a country. The Cambodian people had spent four very painful years under the Khmer Rouge regime from 1975 to 1979 and they are still recovering, thirty-three years after the genocide. I have observed their sincerity to learn and recover from this mistake and I wish them well." ~Mr Remund Koh


"The intricate design and architecture of the Royal Palace is extremely beautiful. The rule that the King can only sit on the throne once in his lifetime amazed me. When the King is attending an official ceremony or is coronated more than once, he can only sit on a chair in front of the throne. When the King is carried on the palanquin for a special procession or ceremony, he is dressed in a particular colour designated for that day; for example, navy blue on Friday.

Village Artworks is a social enterprise in Phnom Penh that supports the poor women of the nearby villages. These women earn very little by working in the paddy fields. When they have finished their work in the paddy fields, they learn how to make handicrafts such as bags, placemats and other household items from this organisation to earn an extra living. The support given by Village Artworks has improved the standard of living of these poor women." ~Mrs Dorai






No comments:

Post a Comment